IGCSE (Grade 9 and 10)
The International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) is the world’s most popular international curriculum for secondary education. Students take exams after their second year (grade 10) to receive their IGCSE certifications in each subject (up to 10 subjects).From there on, various paths are open to our students, be it continuing their studies to attain International A Levels, entering a Junior College in the UK or the US or pursuing vocational training in Switzerland.
We offer a broad range of subjects to meet the individual interests of our students. Exam-relevant subjects are supplemented by an attractive programme of electives and extracurricular activities.
In Zurich we offer our students the following IGCSE-subjects:
- Business Studies
- English (as a first language)
- English (as a second language)
- French (as a foreign language)
- German (as a foreign language)
- Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
Further subjects, such as Italian, Russian or Portuguese are offered on request.
Electives and extracurricular activities
Our electives allow students to pursue their interests and passions without the pressure of a formal examination. Our practice-orientated project and lab days are fixed features in our programme. In addition, our student council and school magazine are spaces where our students have a voice. The student council can create student-driven initiatives, promote charitable work or make suggestions for the improvement of our school. We round off our extracurriculars with regular school field trips, culture days, cinema evenings and end-of-year parties which are co-organised by the students.
- Broad curriculum offering flexibility and choice
- Individual support in a warm and caring atmosphere
- Holistic approach with innovative teaching and learning
- Internationally recognized qualification with various pathways after just two years
- An outstanding team of committed, highly qualified teachers who have years of experience teaching the UK curriculum
- Established for 10 years in Basel and now in Zurich
For students wishing to apply to Swiss universities or simply to integrate into the community more easily we offer a Swiss university track for an additional school fee.
The German Booster track means students will receive 5 German lessons a week: 3 lessons at A1 beginner level, which will progress to A2 level, and 2 lessons that follow the IGCSE syllabus.
Students supplementing their IGCSE and A Levels with Common European Framework A1–C1 German courses, will have the opportunity to take German TELC examinations. TELC examinations are officially recognized by Swiss universities and schools.
International A Levels
Are you looking for more individualisation? Academia Matura offers study programmes tailored to your personal requirements to successfully gain International A Levels.